Thursday, June 24, 2010

Jog Blog Day #9 - Couch Potato

Man, what a run today! The outcome of today's run was completely unexpected! I had my route all picked out before I even got out to there and I though it was just going to be a simple circumnavigation of one of the big hills, but boy was it not that, not at all! I pulled up to my starting point in my Jeep and have never heard a more quiet place in my entire life. I couldn't hear anything for miles. It was almost unnerving how quiet it was.
During the first quarter mile, all was well and I it was a good warm up for what was to come. At the first turn, I realized I had made a huge mistake. Today's trail was a straight climb for 560 feet. Crap... Have you ever felt like your heart was beating so hard it was going to explode? Well multiply that by ten and you'll fee how I was feeling at the top. And although it was a horrible physical test, I felt rather accomplished while fire burned through my arteries. The entire run was only 2 miles and a little bit, but it felt so good knowing what I had done. On the way down, I had some time to think about life and all of its intricate workings and I thought a lot about what it means to be a father. One of the things that really struck home to me was that fathers not only have a responsibility to not only provide for the family, but also teach life lessons to their children that normally may have to be learned the hard way. You can think for yourselves about what those lessons are they may be small or large, but they're important. Mothers are not excluded from this responsibility and I think that having a mother and a father teach you what they know and what they believe is important for the success of the child. I could go on, but this post is long enough.
Here's a link for my run, and it should have the stats along with the map if you click on the "Track 5 (End)."

The couch some lazy person forgot to take back home after shooting it up.

My 560 foot climb started at the base by the power line tower (right) and ended out of the picture at the far left. "Ouch!"

"Wish I had some PF Flyers"

Cory

No comments:

Post a Comment