Friday, June 4, 2010

Jog Blog Day #1 - The Mines

Day one of my grand adventure was a little short, but very rewarding. I've decided to start my jogs across the highway from where we live where I've found a few dirt roads that lead to some open pit mines; most of them have been abandoned. I drove the Jeep to the end of one of the roads that had open mines on both sides of it. I knew I had limited time (Megs was making chicken enchiladas for dinner), so I could only get down into one of the mines, but it was extraordinary. The rock faces where huge and revealed much of the rock's history. For example, the sheer rock cliff you see below was once completely horizontal and from what I can tell, part of a sea bed of some sort. During the hundreds of thousands of years (maybe even millions of years), the active forces on the earth's crust have pushed and bent the rock to its current vertical position. This abandoned mine has left all this history exposed for us to see.
Okay enough of the school lesson. I also found a few television sets, tires and broken beer bottles that were so kindly left behind by our dear trailer park friends and amongst the wreckage, I found a friend. Freddy Lizard! Thus, my run ran to an end with a straight uphill run back to the Jeep that almost killed me. Yay!
Tomorrow (really today, since I'm blogging for yesterday's run) I plan on returning to the same mining area to see what I can see.
The glass on the rock above is on the big square rock below.


I hope you all like the panoramics. I'll make sure to get plenty of those on the blog. They're the cloolest for sure! Click on 'em to see them better.


Freddy!

"Wish I had some PF Flyers"
-Cory

No comments:

Post a Comment